It is interesting how the producers interpret the theme while most of the songs mentioned as Pitbull’s favorite songs or his song. Some people say the theme is ‘The Sexiest Night of the Year’ and some say ‘The Hottest Night of the Year’. While the type of the routine is mixed from Salsa, Samba to Foxtrot.
What is interesting this week is the presence of Leah Remini who fills in for Erin Andrews just for one week since Erin has another task. All I can say is : Leah Remini is superb. She is not afraid to say anything. I really mean anything. She is not afraid to say ‘no one can rely just on the judges score alone, thank God’ or when she hit Derek with the microphone saying : ‘Cause you don’t know what it feels like to get a 5 or 7, don’t you ?’. I laugh hard when she said that, because until now there is nobody ever saying that to Derek, the golden boy of DWTS. I also love the way she try to cheer up all the couples with her funny and positive comments.
There is only one thing that bothers me. Can we get some competent and qualified guest judge ? Not because they want to promote their new album or single, but at least can give a very neutral comment hence encouragement for each couple. Like Ricky Martin in the previous season, who is able to encourage the couple in a positive way.
The routine perform by couple (alphabetically from the first name of the pros)
1. Allison Holker and Jonathan Bennet
His best performance ? Yes, I totally agree. Unfortunately he’s been eliminated at the end of the show and I still think it’s not fair. Well, what’s fair in a reality show ? Finally Allison start to hold herself a little bit and thinking about her partner. And finally Jonathan came out and showed the world that he really can dance. Their jazz number is very entertaining and 8’s all across the board seems very fair. But I have to say it is contradictive. It seems like the judges knew he will be eliminated, so they spent their 8 on him. We will never know the answer. At the beginning of the routine, my focus is still in Allison. But starting from the middle of the routine, he really executed the routine very well. It’s really so sad to see him really happy listening to the judges comments yet he was the one who is eliminated.
2. Cheryl Burke and Antonio Sabato Jr.
Cheryl is such a small energetic lady. I love her. She has a free spirit. Never give up. Although she had a hard time during the rehearsal because her father is sick. Their routine is salsa, with Enrique Iglesias song ‘Bailando’ … Wow, a very interesting and sexy song, great setting and of course excellent choreography from Cheryl. And that’s what we called ‘Antonio is dancing’. He seems more and more comfortable with the movement especially the hip action. He seems very satisfied at the end of the routine. The combination of 7 and 8 is fair enough. Unfortunately, it’s all 7’s across the board. At least an 8 for the amazing choreography and Antonio’s significant improvement.
3. Emma Slater and Michael Waltrip
Emma looks great in her costume. But still he’s not a natural mover. This week they have Argentine Tango. I still can’t see he is dancing, no matter how hard he tried. But I always admire his spirit and enthusiasm to face all the challenges. Emma is really amazing in encouraging Michael to be always positive. I think the combination of 7 and 6 is fair for them.
4. Peta Murgatroyd and Tommy Chong
This week they do the foxtrot. And as soon as the song from Earth Wind & Fire started, I can’t take my eyes off of Peta. She is very gorgeous with her smile, her pink costumes, her spirit and the way she stand by Tommy. Perfect partner for Tommy. From week to week he survived and I really admire his willingness to learn and perform. Peta is amazing from the way she choreograph all the routines for Tommy and especially this foxtrot. It’s beautiful.
5. Witney Carson and Alfonso Ribeiro
This week is still full of injury. Both Alfonso and Witney got injured. It is affecting their performance just a little bit, but still they execute it well. And their routine really full of dangerous lifts and spins though. They dance salsa with J-Lo song ‘Booty’. Beautiful red costumes, especially on Witney. I agree with Julianne that this Alfonso-Witney team is really serious contender. Getting 39 out of 40 is fantastic.
6. Artem Chigvintsev and Lea Thompson
Artem said to Lea : ‘I need amazing, great is not an option’. He focused to beat Alfonso who’s on the top of the leaderboard. I feel that the song choice is not supported Artem’s choreography. And the help from the troupe is distracting since the color of the costume is not match Lea and Artem costumes. I think the combination of 7 and 8 is fair for them. In fact, the judges gave them all 8’s. I agree with Carrie Ann, they need to find what Lea feels great to do and not focusing on how to beat Alfonso. Lea seems not confident of herself as usual.
7. Derek Hough and Bethany Mota
Pure tango … Nothing more to say about Derek’s choreography. That guy can do anything with any song. Bethany is better than the last two weeks actually. She is not a professional dancer but she executes the routine well. She slips but she continue to dance. Looking at the whole routine, I think all 8’s across the board is good enough. But surprise, the judges gave them all 9’s. Bethany’s costume is great, but I think the hairstyle is too ‘old’ for her age. Although a lot of people like her hairdo. But when Carrie Ann said that she’s like watching Nicole Scherzinger dance, well I think she is exaggerating. The only person that you can compare with Nicole Scherzinger is Jennifer Grey.
8. Mark Ballas and Sadie Robertson
The package they shown about the objection from Sadie’s grandmother, and how Mark is really tried to accommodate it because he respect Sadie, really made me very curious what kind of choreography Mark create for their Rumba, the dance of love. Well, all I can say is Mark is a genius. Sadie looks very beautiful like a white swan. They dance sooo good until I believe that Mark is willing to give everything just to keep her in his arm. The closing is very very smart and amazing, when they sat on the floor and Mark reach out for Sadie to be close to him. I think they deserve all 9’s.
9. Valentin Chmerkovskiy and Janel Parrish
First thing first, why did they pick one of the strong couple as a filler for ‘you are in jeopardy’ thing ? Second, that is the first time I saw Janel fall apart right after Tom Bergeron announced that they are also in jeopardy. She seems depressed and suddenly she lost her confidence while she performed. I don’t need to correlate those two things. All I can say is as usual the choreography is great, Val’s routine, fast and sexy. They still managed to do their routine well though. But I feel that this week she is not focus as usual dance. Maybe because of ‘the jeopardy’ thing. Pitbull said he didn’t feel the passion in the routine. I say they always dance passionately and this routine is for TV audience consumption, not in the night club, and I think they did it with passion.
My favorite routines from the couples
1. Cheryl Burke and Antonio Sabato Jr. – Salsa / Bailando – Enrique Iglesias ft. Gente de Zona, Descemer Bueno and Sean Paul
2. Witney Carson and Alfonso Ribeiro – Salsa / Booty – Jennifer Lopez ft. Pitbull
3. Mark Ballas and Sadie Robertson – Rumba / Diamonds – Rihanna
My favorite routine from the pros
Opening number from Pitbull and the pros with the song ‘Fireball’ and do not forget that the number is choreograph by the one and only – Mandy Moore
Reflection from week 6
1. I will rewrite what I wrote previously. Being a positive-thinking person is not as easy as it seems. Jonathan Bennett is the perfect example for that. I can feel his disappointment but he still can smile and it is ah-ma-zing. If I put myself on his position, I really don’t want to imagine how my facial expression will be, hit hard every week, getting all 8’s for jazz routine and being eliminated as a closure, in front of million people watching him from all over the world. He is a survivor. On the other hand, this situation makes me think that if he can do it, then we can do it too.
2. Being competitive is good to keep your spirit up. But sometimes it will become a burden that might block your mind to be free. This week Artem stated to Lea that Alfonso is her direct competitor. The result ? Lea seems under pressure and not perform as good as usual, because maybe her mind is focused about how to perform better than Alfonso. I agree with Carrie Ann that sometimes we have to forget about it and just do the best we can.
3. Without considering all the scenarios from the producers or studio, we have to admit that this show is a high-end show. It involves a lot of talented people. Let’s start from the pros, the troupe, the band, the host (which is a very important aspect of the show) until all the crew that handling lighting, make up, hairdo, costumes, equipment and so many things needed for this show. Including the producers, of course. It is amazing to see large group of people working together to deliver a live TV show where we can watch all the beautiful routines from different angles at home. This show really makes me more and more respect and appreciate the people in entertainment world.